ri
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Limbe, Cameroon

Hello family & friends!!

Just departed Limbe, Cameroon after 5 days on the hook (anchored out in the harbor). Although, we had to ride a “liberty launch” (a transport boat) back and forth to shore, we still participated in several events. While in Limbe, the crew engaged in VBSS training (coast guard ship boarding’s), soccer games, several office calls w/ local dignitaries and military commanders, and a reception w/ the Cameroonian Navy. The crew also got to head off the ship a couple days for a mountain hike (7K feet straight up). I chose not attend this event, as my legs are still recuperating from the mountain ‘hike’ in Equatorial Guinea ;) One African mountain per six months, that’s my motto.

While we were in Cameroon, my engineers and I stayed busy w/ diesel repairs and other training events. I got off the ship on Thurs eve, for a tour of the local Wildlife Sanctuary, then dinner and drinks w/ my engineers. We all got to let off some steam at a local karaoke bar. Good times were had by all. The Limbe Wildlife Sanctuary tour was amazing. The Sanctuary was a local ‘do good’ organization that was a rescue shelter for endangered species of monkeys and bush babies that had been injured or maimed in the illegal ‘bush meat’ trade that thrives in Cameroon and many other Western African countries. They had gorillas, chimps, mandrills (like baboons), smaller monkeys, alligators, and a snake…OH MY! That’s where I got a majority of my pics…

Well, Azzy and I have officially weathered 4 months of a 6 month deployment apart and have just under 2 months to go till I pull back into Norfolk, VA. I’m getting really excited to get home and spend time w/ Azzy and get to know Connor!! Sorry this is so short, but not a lot to report from this port, as I didn’t leave the ship much.

- J.R.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home